PREVIEW GAME #77 Canadiens @ Tampa Bay (April 1, 2014)

Apr 1st, 2014 | By | Category: Canadiens, Latest News

logo tampalogo canadiensPreview Game #77

Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay Times Forum – April 1, 2014 – 7:35pm

-

Game Notes -

..The only issue to be decided is who gets second place in the Atlantic Division and has home ice advantage in the opening series between the clubs. Sportsclubstats.com currently lists the Canadiens with a 51% chance of taking second place and Tampa 49%.

..The Canadiens have won six of the last nine meetings against Tampa but have lost two of three this season.  The last six games between them have been decided by one goal and nine of the last 11.

..The Canadiens are looking for a season high sixth straight win, which would be their longest win streak in four years. (March 6-16, 2010) They have also won eight of nine.

…….Including the first two games of their current four game road trip, the Canadiens have won 5 in a row on the road and eight of their last nine.  The Canadiens have won 22 of their 38 road games.   In the entire league, only St. Louis and the Rangers (24) and Ahaheim/Boston (23) have recorded more.

…….The Canadiens have won three straight in Tampa and four of the last six meetings. 

..…..All three games have gone to overtime with the teams splitting shootout wins and Tampa winning in overtime. In three games the Lightning have outscored the Canadiens 3-2.  

…..Tampa had an eleven game points streak ended Sunday in Detroit.  The 7-0-4 streak included 6 overtime or shootout games.  In reality, they have lost three of their last five games (2-1-2)

..Tampa Bay finishes it’s season with six straight games at home, starting with the Canadiens before they finish with a game in Washington.   .

…..After this game, the Canadiens have five remaining, three at home.

..The Desharnais/Vanek/Pacioretty line has scored 7 goals the last two games. Both Vanek and Pacioretty are plus-6; Desharnais plus-5.

..The Canadiens penalty killers have allowed two goals the last 42 opposition advantages – 95.2%.

..The Tampa Bay power play has scored 12 times their last 39 opportunities over the last nine games. Prior to that they were 3 for 37.

..On special teams the Canadiens are plus-11 (48PPG / 37PPGA). Tampa Bay is minus-4 (45/49)

..Carey Price is 7-2-2 with a 2.02 goals against average record his last 11 appearances against Tampa. His career record of 10-6-4 with a 2.34 GAA and a .918save% in 20 career games against them. 

..Over his last ten starts Price is 9-1-0 with a 2.11GAA. He has won four in a row.

..In seven career starts against the Canadiens Ben Bishop is 4-1-2 with a 1.34 GAA. He has allowed one goal in five of the seven games.

..Before this season Ben Bishop had never recorded more than 11 wins in a single season. His 36 wins are tied for second in the league, he is 6th with a 2.18GAA and tied for fourth with a .926save%.

.Bishop, who’s reportedly bothered by a sore right wrist, has allowed three or more goals in 10 of his last 13 starts. In those games he has a 2.78GAA and a .902 save percentage. This will be his third start in four nights.

..In his last nine games against Tampa Bay Brian Gionta has five goals and four assists.

.Max Pacioretty has scored a league-leading 10 game-winning goals.

…..In 35 career games against Tampa, Thomas Vanek has 25 goals, 15 assists for a total of 40 points.

..Steven Stamkos had four points in his last nine games against the Canadiens. His broken leg kept him out of both games against the Canadiens this season.

..When Stamkos scores at least a point the Lightning at 15-2-2 this season.

..Ryan Callahan has 3 goals and 4 assists in 12 games since he was traded for Martin St. Louis. With the Rangers St. Louis has 0 goals and 3 assists in 14 games.  

……Centre Valtteri Filppula has a 12 game points streak,(5goals, 11 assists), the longest active one in the league.  

..A win for the Canadiens would clinch a playoff berth. A win for the Lighting combined with a New Jersey loss would guarantee them a spot in the post season

….The history of the Canadiens meeting the Lightning in the playoffs amounts to one series and four games.  The Lightning swept the Canadiens in four straight games in the 2004 Eastern Conference semi-final.  Francis Bouillon and Andrei Markov were part of the Canadiens at that time.   

Tampa Bay Line Combinations

23-J.T. Brown C-Steven Stamkos 16-Teddy Purcell

18-Ondrej Palat 51-Valtteri Filppula 24-Ryan Callahan

17-Alex Killorn 9-Tyler Johnson 86-Nikita Kucherov

11-Tom Pyatt 44-Nate Thompson 71-Richard Panik

25-Matt Carle 7-Radko Gudas

77-Victor Hedman 6-Sami Salo

2-Eric Brewer 21-Mike Koska

30-Ben Bishop

Game Statistics -

Season Record - Canadiens 76 GP (43-26-7) 93 pts. 2nd Atlantic Division. Tampa Bay 75GP(41-25-9) 91 pts. Third in Atlantic Division.

Last Ten Games – Canadiens (8-2-0) Tampa (7-1-2)

Last Time Out – Canadiens defeated Florida 4-1 at Sunrise. Tampa Bay lost 3-2 to the Red Wings in Detroit.

Season Series – Fourth of four games – Tampa won two of three. All three games decided after regulation time. @Bell Centre Nov. 12 Tampa-2 Canadiens-1 (shootout) – Filppula scored winning goal in shootout. Carey Price 44 saves. @Tampa Bay Dec. 28 Canadiens-2 Tampa-1 (shootout) Lars Eller with shootout winner. Price stops all three shootout attempts. Plekanec scored in regulation time. @Bell Centre Feb. 1 Tampa-2 Canadiens-1 (overtime) Nate Thompson’s second goal of game in overtime won it. Price stops 34 of 36. Briere for Canadiens.

Home/Road – Canadiens on the Road (22-14-2). Tampa at Home (21-8-6)

Special Teams – Power Play – Canadiens ranked 15th 48/264 18.2% Tampa Bay ranked 14th 45/246 18.3% Penalty Killing – Canadiens ranked 3rd 37/263 85.9% Tampa Bay ranked 23rd 49/249 80.3%.

Goaltending – Canadiens – Carey Price – 55GP-32-18-5) 2.36GAA .925save%. Tampa – Ben Bishop – 59GP (36-12-7) 2.18GAA .926save%.

Who’s Hot – Canadiens – Tomas Vanek 6 goals, 4 assists last seven games. . Max Pacioretty has 11 points has last ten games. Tampa – Steven Stamkos – 9 goals, 4 assists last ten games. Valtteri Filppula 5 goals, 11 assist in 12 game scoring streak.

From the Clinic – Canadiens – RW-Dale Weise (upper body); LW-Travis Moen (concussion) D-Josh Gorges (thumb surgery); LW-Brandon Prust (ribs). Tampa Bay – D-Brian Lee (knee) D-Mathias Ohlund (knee surgery)

Montreal

Tampa Bay

2.54

Goals Per Game

2.88

2.45

Goals Against Per Game

2.6

28.67

Shots on Goal Per Game

29.79

30.64

Shots Against Per Game

29.41

12.57

Penalty Minutes Per Game

10.53

48

Power Play Goals

45

18.2%

Power Play %

18.3%

37

Power Play Goals Allowed

49

85.9%

Penalty Kill %

80.3%

6

Shorthanded Goals

9

7

Shorthanded Goals Allowed

8

Leave a Comment