SUBBAN NOMINATED FOR NORRIS TROPHYMay 7th, 2013 | By reusch | Category: Hockey-General News
The finalists for the Norris Trophy are P.K. Subban, Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang and Minnesota’s Ryan Suter. Each is a first time nominee.
The Canadiens are now two-for-two in the nomination department and, with Michel Therrien in the running for Coach of the Year, could have as many as three post season award finalists. The other possibility was Carey Price for the Vezina, but his late season slump probably took him out of consideration. All awards voting takes place before the playoffs begin.
The last member of the Canadiens to win the Norris is Chris Chelios in 1989. Since then the Canadiens haven’t even had a runner-up.
Canadiens defencemen have been awarded the Norris twelve times since it was established in 1954. Doug Harvey won seven times, Larry Robinson twice, plus Tom Johnson, Jacques Laperriere and Chelios.
From the NHL’s Website
Each is a Norris finalist for the first time.
Subban topped the league’s defencemen with 11 goals and 27 assists. Letang finished second in the scoring race among defencemen despite missing more than a quarter of the season. Suter of Madison, Wis., ranked second among players at his position in assists (28) and third in points (32).
Members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association submitted ballots at the end of the regular season. The winner will be announced during the Stanley Cup Finals.
The finalists for the Vezina Trophy for top goaltender are announced Wednesday.
Here’s the schedule as the NHL announces trophy finalists over two weeks.
• Wednesday, May 8: Vezina Trophy (top goaltender)
• Thursday, May 9: Ted Lindsay Award (most outstanding player as voted by NHLPA)
• Friday, May 10: Hart Memorial Trophy (most valuable player)
• Monday, May 13: General Manager of the Year Award
• Tuesday, May 14: Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (perseverance and dedication to hockey)
• Wednesday, May 15: Frank J. Selke Trophy (top defensive forward)
• Thursday, May 16: Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (sportsmanship)
• Friday, May 17: Jack Adams Award (top head coach)